Skip to main content Skip to Search Box

Definition: recorder from Musical Terms, Symbols and Theory: An Illustrated Dictionary

an instrument in the wind family, popular from the 16th to 18th centuries and, in limited applications, again in modern music. It is constructed of wood or plastic, and has a series of air holes. Four sizes and ranges are the soprano (descant), alto (treble), tenor, and bass. See also fipple; flute; wind family.

Summary Article: recorder
From The Columbia Encyclopedia

musical wind instrument of the flute family, made of wood, varying in length, and having an inverted conical bore (largest end near the mouthpiece). Its tone is produced by an air stream against an edge, like that of the flute, but the air is conducted by a mouthpiece through a channel to the edge; intonation is somewhat less flexible on the vertical recorder than on the transverse flute. The recorder has a soft, sweet timbre which makes it an ideal chamber instrument. It was known in Europe as early as the 10th cent., and at first was the principal flute instrument. By the 16th cent. it was made in a variety of sizes, and in the 17th and early 18th cent. it was a very important solo, chamber, and orchestral instrument. Until c.1750, the term flute referred to the recorder; the transverse flute was always distinguished by a qualifying adjective. After that time the recorder was too weak for the continually growing orchestra, and it fell into disuse until the revival of interest in older music and instruments in the early 20th cent. Since it lacks keys and a complicated embouchure, the recorder is one of the few instruments of artistic importance easily played by an amateur, a fact that has contributed to its growing popularity. It has a huge literature of solo and ensemble music from the 16th to 18th cent., to which many 20th-century composers have added. Related to the recorder is the flageolet, which differs mainly in that it has fewer holes, usually six, two of which are closed by the thumbs. It was known as early as the 16th cent. and has seldom figured in serious music.

The Columbia Encyclopedia, © Columbia University Press 2018

Related Articles

Full text Article flute
The Columbia Encyclopedia

in music, generic term for such wind instruments as the fife, the flageolet, the panpipes, the piccolo, and the recorder. The tone of all flutes is

Full text Article recorder
The Hutchinson Unabridged Encyclopedia with Atlas and Weather Guide

Any of a widespread range of woodwind instruments of the whistle type which flourished in consort ensembles in the Renaissance and baroque eras, alon

Full text Article wind instrument
The Hutchinson Unabridged Encyclopedia with Atlas and Weather Guide

Any musical instrument where a column of air (created by the player's breath) vibrates in a tube (the body of the instrument), producing a sound. The

See more from Credo