Unitary authority in southwest Wales; a former county, from 1974 to 1996 it was part of the county of Dyfed.
Area 1,588 sq km/613 sq mi
TownsHaverfordwest (administrative headquarters), Milford Haven
Physical bounded on the south by the Bristol Channel; valleys and hills inland; rivers East and West Cleddau
Features Pembrokeshire Coast National Park, Castell Henllys (reconstructed Iron Age fort near Crymych), beaches, walled town and castle ruins (13th century) at Tenby, Pembroke Castle (1093), Manorbier Castle (12th century), near Havorfordwest, Carew Castle (13th century), Tidal Mill, Preseli Hills, Neolithic burial grounds at St Davids
Industries oil refining at Milford Haven (in decline), port services, light engineering, tourism, fishing, small-scale woollen milling.
Agriculture arable crops including potatoes; sheep and dairy farming
Population (2001) 114,150
The coast Pembrokeshire is bounded on the south by the Bristol Channel and on the west and north by St George's Channel, into which protrudes St David's Head. The chief bays are Milford Haven and St Bride's, the coast of which is part of the national park; smaller bays include Fishguard and Newport. All have good anchorage. A number of islands lie off the coast, including Skokholm, Skomer, Caldey, Ramsey, and Grassholm, as well as many rocky islets, including the group known as the Bishops and Clerks, which has a lighthouse. The south coast is wild and precipitous, fronted by high cliffs.
Inland Pembrokeshire is undulating, consisting of green hills alternating with fertile valleys. The main relief is the Preseli Hills in the northeast; the most important rivers are the East and West Cleddau, which unite and form a navigable portion of Milford Haven. There are many prehistoric monuments in the district.
Pembrokeshire Coast National Park
From PEMBROKE + SHIRE . A former county and current unitary authority in southwest Wales. In Welsh it is Sir Benfro. The county town of...
A county of SW Wales, on the Irish Sea and the Bristol Channel. Under local government reorganization in 1974 it became part of Dyfed but...