Skip to main content Skip to Search Box

Definition: Laon from Merriam-Webster's Collegiate(R) Dictionary

commune N France NE of Paris pop 26,241


Summary Article: Laon
from The Hutchinson Unabridged Encyclopedia with Atlas and Weather Guide

Administrative centre of Aisnedépartement in the Picardy region of northern France; 125 km/78 mi northeast of Paris; population (2005 est) 26,500. It was the capital of France and a royal residence until the 10th century. Laon is a market centre, and has food-processing and metallurgical industries. Its cathedral, and the former abbey church of St-Martin, both date from the 12th century.

History Laon's latin name, Lugdunum, refers to the town's site on an isolated hill rising 99 m/325 ft above the plain. The hill had been consecrated to the god of light by the Celts. Laon became a bishopric in 515. It was the capital of the western Franks, and was a strategically important town in the Middle Ages. In 1814 the Prussian general Blücher defeated Napoleon here. It was a major fortress in World War I and was occupied by the Germans from August 1914 to October 1918; it formed the southern pivot of the Hindenburg Line.

Features Laon's cathedral of Notre Dame was destroyed by fire in 1150, and replaced with one of the first buildings to be built in the Gothic style. Its vaulted roof rises 40 m/131 ft above the transept. It suffered much damage in the German bombing of the area in 1944. The town hosts a medieval festival each May. Laon has also expanded at the foot of the hill, and the two parts of the town are connected (since 1989) by the POMA, the first automatic metropolitan cable-car service in France.

© RM, 2018. All rights reserved.

Related Articles


Full text Article Laon
The Macmillan Encyclopedia

49 34N 3 37E A town in N France, the capital of the Aisne department. A former leading town of the kingdom of the Franks, notable buildings...

Full text Article Laon
Brewer's Dictionary of Irish Phrase and Fable

A town in France, 120 km (70 miles) northeast of Paris. It was the seat of one of the palace schools of CHARLES THE BALD , noted especially for...

See more from Credo