(gĭnz'bûrg), 1926–97, American poet, b. Paterson, N.J., grad. Columbia, 1949. An outspoken member of the beat generation, Ginsberg is best known for Howl (1956), a long poem attacking American values in the 1950s. The prose of Jack Kerouac, the insights of Zen Buddhism, and the free verse of Walt Whitman were some of the sources for Ginsberg's quest to glorify everyday experience, embrace the ecstatic moment, and promote sponteneity and freedom of expression. His volumes of poetry include Kaddish and Other Poems, 1958–60 (1961), Collected Poems, 1947–1980 (1984), and White Shroud: Poems 1980–85 (1986). His Collected Poems: 1947–1997 was published in 2006. Allen Verbatim (1974) is a collection of lectures, and Deliberate Prose (2000) a selection of essays.
- See his The Best Minds of My Generation: A Literary History of the Beats (2017, compiled and ed. by B. Morgan);.
- his journals (5 vol., 1971-96);.
- collected correspondence (5 vol., 1976-2001),.
- Schumacher, M. , ed., Family Business: Selected Letters between a Father and Son (2001),.
- Morgan, B. , ed., The Letters of Allen Ginsberg (2008) and The Selected Letters of Allen Ginsberg and Gary Snyder (2008), and.
- B. Morgan; D. Stanford, ed., Jack Kerouac and Allen Ginsberg: The Letters (2010);.
- Carter, D. , ed., Spontaneous Mind: Selected Interviews, 1958-1996 (2001);.
- Beat Memories: The Photographs of Allen Ginsberg (2010, museum catalog);. ,
- biographies by B. Miles (1989), M. Schumacher (1992), and B. Morgan (2006);.
- studies by L. Hyde, ed. (1984), T. F. Merrill (1988), B. Miles (1993), and B. Morgan (2010);.
- bibliographies ed. by G. Dowden (1971), M. P. Kraus (1980), and B. Morgan (1995).
Birth Date: June 3, 1926 Death Date: April 5, 1997 Counterculture artist and poet of the Beat generation. Born on June 3, 1926, in...
Poet, musician, photographer, and activist, Allen Ginsberg helped define a revolution in American aesthetics and culture. An outspoken advocate...
Allen Ginsberg was a poet of the Beat Generation and a leading figure in the counterculture of the 1960s. He is most famous for his poem “Howl,”...