Capital, largest city, and chief port of the Republic of Guinea; population (2002 est) 1,142,500 (city), 1,587,600 (urban agglomeration). It is on the island of Tumbo, and is linked with the Kaloum Peninsula by a causeway and (from 1914) by rail with Kankan, 480 km/300 mi to the northeast. Conakry is the leading commercial and industrial centre of Guinea and one of the major exports is alumina (treated bauxite), which is mined at Fria; iron ore is mined on the nearby Kaloum Peninsula. Other industries include plastics, motor vehicle assembly, printed materials, fisheries, and tourism. Agricultural products include bananas, oranges, pineapples, palm products, and coffee.
The Portuguese explorer Pedro da Sintra landed here around 1460 and named it Cap de Sagres. Conakry was an important port used by the Portuguese, Dutch, English, and French in the 17th and 18th centuries for the transfer of slaves to ocean-going vessels.
Conakry is home to the Guinean presidential palace, the National Museum, the National Library, and the University of Conakry. The Los Islands are 4 km/2 mi to the southwest. The port is being modernized with Chinese assistance to accommodate vessels with draughts up to 11 m/36 ft.