Skip to main content Skip to Search Box

Definition: Brandenburg Gate from The Hutchinson Unabridged Encyclopedia with Atlas and Weather Guide

Brandenburg Gate, built between 1788 and 1791 as a gateway to Berlin, was based on the design of the entrance to the Acropolis in Athens. A winged statue of Victory driving a chariot stands on top of the gate.

(Image © Corel)

articles

Berlin (city)

Germany


Summary Article: Brandenburg Gate from Britannica Concise Encyclopedia

The only remaining town gate of Berlin, it is located at the western end of the avenue Unter den Linden. Carl G. Langhans (1732–1808), who built the gate (1789–93), modeled it after the propylaeum of the Athenian Acropolis. On top was the “Quadriga of Victory,” a statue of a chariot drawn by four horses. Heavily damaged in World War II, the gate was restored in 1957–58. From 1961 to 1989 the Berlin Wall shut off access to it for both eastern and western Germans; the gate was reopened in 1989 with the reunification of East and West Berlin.

Event: Brandenburg Gate

Start Date: 1788

End Date: 1791

Definition: gateway (architecture)

Definition: triumphal arch

Related Place: Germany, Berlin

Keywords: gateway, Germany, Berlin, Brandenburg Gate, triumphal arch

Britannica Concise Encyclopedia. Copyright 1994-2017 Encyclopedia Britannica, Inc

Related Credo Articles

Full text Article Brandenburg Gate
The Macmillan Encyclopedia

A ceremonial gateway in Berlin. The Brandenburg Gate was built (1789) in the neoclassical style by C. G. Langhans (1732-1808). Situated at the...

Full text Article Brandenburg Gate or Brandenburger Tor (1791), Berlin, Germany
Bridgeman Images: DeAgostini Library

Credit: Brandenburg Gate or Brandenburger Tor (1791), Berlin, Germany / De Agostini Picture Library / E. Ferrari A. / The Bridgeman Art Library Copy

Full text Article Brandenburg Gate
The Hutchinson Unabridged Encyclopedia with Atlas and Weather Guide

The Brandenburg Gate, Berlin, Germany. The ceremonial gateway, at the western end of Unter del Linden, was built in 1789 by C G Langhans. (Imag

See more from Credo