State capital of North Dakota, USA, and seat of Burleigh County, situated on the east bank of the Missouri River in the south-central part of the state; population (2000 est) 55,500. It is a shipping point for the region's agricultural and livestock products, and for oil products from nearby oil wells. Originally an American Indian site, Bismarck was first settled by Europeans in 1872 and was incorporated in 1875.
History Named after German chancellor Otto von Bismarck, the city was the terminus of the German-funded Northern Pacific Railroad. It became the capital of the Dakota Territory in 1883, and when this territory was divided in two in 1889, it became the capital of North Dakota. General George Custer rode out from Bismarck to fight the Battle of Little Bighorn in 1876.
Features The Double Ditch Indian Village to the north comprises the ruins of a large Mandan village occupied c. 1675–1780. There are 19 entries on the national register of historic places, including the former Governors' Mansion, used between 1893 and 1960. The Cape Hancock State Historic Site is an 1872 military installation built to protect the Northern Pacific Railroad.
Bismarck is home to the University of Mary (1955), a private Catholic university.