Historic county of Northern Ireland, bordering Lough Neagh to the north and the Republic of Ireland to the south; area 1,250 sq km/483 sq mi. The principal towns and cities are Armagh, Craigavon, and Keady. The county is flat in the north, with many bogs and mounds formed from glacial deposits, and has low hills in the south, the highest of which is Slieve Gullion (574 m/1,883 ft). The principal rivers are the Bann, the Blackwater, and its tributary, the Callan. Administrative responsibility for the county is held by the councils of Craigavon and Armagh.
Armagh is the smallest county of Northern Ireland. The River Blackwater, which flows into Lough Neagh, forms the western boundary with County Tyrone; County Down lies to the east. The hills of igneous rock encircling Slieve Gullion form part of the border with County Louth in the Republic of Ireland.
The archaeological site of Emain Macha (in English Navan Fort), a large earthwork 4 km/2.5 mi west of the city of Armagh, is reputed to have been built by Queen Macha in 300 BC. This was the seat of the kings of Ulster until AD 332, and, dominated by the O'Neills in the late middle ages, the territory was resettled in the plantation of Ulster. The county of Armagh has been significant in many conflicts over territory, including battles over Ulster between the British and Irish during the 17th–19th centuries. Other features include Blackwater River Park, the 17th-century manor Ardress House, and Camagh Forest.
Irish árd Macha ‘height of Macha’; Macha is said to be Macha Mong Ruadh (Queen Macha of the Red Locks), who traditionally founded the city in ...
(Irish Ard Macha , ‘ MACHA 's height’). The name of Ulster's smallest county (1250 sq km / 484 sq miles) and of its county town, the...
1. A historic county in S Northern Ireland, bordering on the Republic of Ireland. Its administrative powers were devolved to the new...