German-born US weaver and designer, closely associated with the Bauhaus school of design. She wrote many articles on weaving and industry, as well as two books: Anni Albers: on designing 1959 and Anni Albers: on weaving 1965. Her studies of weave structure, colour, and texture have had a continuing influence on the textile industry.
Albers wove fabrics and wall hangings for the new Bauhaus building in Dessau (designed by Walter Gropius in cooperation with staff and students) in the 1920s, and became assistant director of the weaving workshop. She was married to the Bauhaus teacher and artist Josef Albers (1888–1976).
From Germany to the USA Born in Berlin, she studied with the artist Martin Brandenburg before going on to the Hamburg School of Decorative Arts. Her association with the Bauhaus began when she entered as a student at the age of 23. In 1925 she married Albers, and some of her wall hangings from this period are not unlike his geometrical compositions.
The Bauhaus moved to Berlin for a brief period 1932 before finally being closed by the Nazis 1933. Towards the end of that year she and Josef emigrated to the USA to take up teaching posts at the newly established Black Mountain College in North Carolina. They remained there until Josef's move to the design department at Yale University 1950.
Work Her work consisted mainly of ‘pictorial weavings’ – studies of weave structure, colour, and texture – and her influential designs for industry. An exhibition of her work, the first of many, was held at the Museum of Modern Art, New York, 1949. She stopped weaving 1970 to devote more time to printmaking, graphics, and textile design.
German school of art, design, and architecture founded in 1919 in Weimar by the architect Walter Gropius, who aimed to fuse art, design, architecture
Was born in Bottrop, Westphalia, and was the first BAUHAUS student to become a ‘master’. After Johannes ITTEN resigned in 1923 as head of...
Subject: architecture Area: Germany The Bauhaus school of design, architecture, and crafts, founded by the German architect Walter Gropius, is tran