Contemporary World Issues: Same-Sex Marriage: A Reference Handbook
- 1 Background and History
- Introduction: The Early Days
- Same-Sex Relationships in History
- Attitudes Toward Same-Sex Relationships in Western Culture
- Sodomy Laws in the United States
- The Gay and Lesbian Civil Rights Movement
- Same-Sex Marriage in the United States
- 2 Problems, Controversies, and Solutions
- Same-Sex Marriage in Judeo-Christian History
- Rome and the Middle Ages
- “Traditional Marriage,”
- Nontraditional Marriage in Western Culture
- Same-Sex Marriage: Arguments Pro and Con
- The Status of Same-Sex Marriage in the United States
- Alternatives to Same-Sex Marriage
- The Future of Same-Sex Marriage in the United States
- 3 Worldwide Perspective
- Same-Sex Marriage in History
- Same-Sex Marriage: Recent Developments: Opposition
- Same-Sex Marriage: Recent Developments: Support
- Public Opinion about Same-Sex Marriage
- The Future of Same-Sex Marriage
- 4 Chronology
- 5 Biographical Sketches
- Barry T. Albin
- Jack Baker
- Bob Barr
- David Boies
- Mary Bonauto
- John E. Boswell
- Chris Bryant
- Charles J. Cooper
- Irwin Cotler
- Dennis Damon
- James Dobson
- William N. Eskridge, Jr.
- Maggie Gallagher
- Julie Goodridge
- Phyllis Lyon
- Richard Malone
- Del Martin
- Michael McConnell
- Thomas S. Monson
- Marilyn Musgrave
- Jerry Nadler
- Theodore Olson
- David Paterson
- Jason West
- 6 Documents and Data
- House Bill 2007
- A Bill for an Act
- Court Cases
- E. B v. France, Application No. 43546/02 (2008)
- Goodridge v. Department of Public Health, 440 Mass. 309 (2003)
- Lewis v. Harris, 908 A.2d 196 (2006)
- In re: Gill (2006)
- Varnum v. Brien, 763 N.W.2D 862 (IOWA 2009)
- Kutil and Hess v. Blake, WL 1579493 (2009)
- Order on Intervenor's Plea to the Jurisdiction (2009)
- Data and Statistics
- Table 6.1: Same-Sex Marriages in Massachusetts (2009)
- Table 6.2: Number of Same-Sex Couples in Legally Recognized Relationships (2009)
- Table 6.3: Same-Sex and Opposite-Sex Marriage Data from the Netherlands (2009)
- Table 6.4: Same-Sex and Opposite-Sex Marriage Data from Belgium (2009)
- Table 6.5: Divorce Rates by States, 2004–2007 (2009)
- 7 Organizations
- 8 Resources
An important element in the debate over same-sex marriage is the possibility of legal arrangements that are similar to, but not identical with,...
For the modern debate over same-sex marriage, probably the most important historical story is that which begins in the lands inhabited by and...
Introduction: The Early Days Same-Sex Relationships in History Attitudes Toward Same-Sex Relationships in Western Culture ...
Albin wrote the majority opinion in the case of Lewis v. Harris (908 A.2d 196) in 2006, an opinion that held that withholding a marriage...
Relating to same-sex relationships; creating new provisions; and amending ORS 107.615, 192.842, 205.320, 409.300, 432.005, 432.235, 432.405 and...
This chapter contains brief biographical sketches of some individuals who have been important figures in the history of same-sex marriage and...
Barr introduced the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) in the U.S. House of Representatives on May 7, 1996. The act defines marriage as a contract...
Cooper was lead attorney for the defense in the 2009–10 trial, Perry v. Schwarzenegger , that challenged the outcome of the November 2008 vote...
Bryant is a member of parliament for the Labour Party from the Rhondda district of Wales. He and his partner, Jared Cranney, made history in...
Although some form of legalized relationships between two individuals of the same gender has been known for hundreds of years, the details of...
Book Cover This book offers an analysis of the past and current status of same-sex marriage in the United States and other nations of...
Preface 1 Background and History Introduction: The Early Days Same-Sex Relationships in History Early Civilizations ...
E. B. v. France , Application No. 43546/02 (2008) The legal status of same-sex adoptions in the United States is still a matter of...
Table 6.1: Same-Sex Marriages in Massachusetts (2009) As the first state in the union to legalize same-sex marriage, Massachusetts has the...
Boies was paired with attorney Ted Olson representing theplaintiffs in the 2009 court case, Perry v. Schwarzenegger , that challenged the...