Homosexuality and Science: A Guide to the Debates
- Foreword, Richard Pillard
- 1 Victorian Doctors Tackle Onanism and the Sexual Perversions
- 2 Turn-of-the-Century Sexual Inverts
- 3 From the Gay Twenties to Homosexual Panic
- 4 Screening Out Homosexuals
- 5 The Cold War and the Sexual Revolution
- 6 The Triumph and Decline of Psychiatric Models
- 7 “Off the Couches, into the Streets!”
- 8 From Gay Pride to the Gay Plague
- 9 Millennial Queers
- Gynomania (1881)
- In Defense of Cross-Dressing (1884)
- Alice Mitchell of Memphis: A Case of Sexual Perversion or “Urning” (a Paranoiac) (1892)
- Sexual Inversion in Men (1896)
- Effeminate Men and Masculine Women (1900)
- Homo Sexual Complexion Perverts in St. Louis: Note on a Feature of Sexual Psychopathy (1907)
- The Psychology of the Acute Homosexual Panic (1921)
- The Biological Sport of Fairie-ism (1934)
- Why Do Homosexuals Undergo Treatment? (1934)
- Psychogenic Factors in Overt Homosexuality (1937)
- Can Homosexuality Be Cured? (1951)
- It Is Natural After All (1958)
- Does Research Into Homosexuality Matter? (1965)
- Homosexuality and Cultural Value Systems (1973)
- About the Author
Vernon A. Rosario is currently a child psychiatry fellow at the Neuropsychiatric Institute of the University of California, Los Angeles. He was...
The work of this book really began my first year in graduate school, so its publication affords me the enormous pleasure of thanking a great many...
Abraham Felix . 1931 . “ Genitalumwandlungen an zwei männlichen Transvestiten. ” Zeitschrift für Sexualwissenschaft und Sexualpolitik 18...
4th c. BC Hippocratic medical texts 2nd c. AD Galenic medical texts 1533 Henry VIII criminalizes “buggery,” making it punishable by...
In a 1948 lecture to the Midwestern Association of College Psychiatrists and Clinical Psychologists, Dr. Benjamin Glover observed that “since the...
Contents Foreword, Richard Pillard Acknowledgments Introduction 1 Victorian Doctors Tackle Onanism and the Sexual Perversions 2...
Gynomania (1881) The following is perhaps the first published case in the United States to apply the new diagnosis of “contrary sexual...
Attraction between the sexes is so much the rule in human nature that same-sex desire cries for an explanation. Sexologists for 150 years have...
The 1970s was a decade of gay liberation and euphoria incited by the Stonewall riots of 1969. There was increased public visibility of gays thanks...
In 1929, neurologist John Meagher (1880-1931) noted in the pages of the Urologic and Cutaneous Review (a journal specially dedicated to venereal...
Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) A syndrome characterized by a variety of disorders and pathological findings (such as low helper...
Book Cover This comprehensive resource explores the role of science and scientific discovery in the nature versus pathology...
“Scientist Says Study Shows Gay Change Is Possible,” blared the headline of a New York Times article reporting on the 2001 annual meeting of the...
As the visibility of lesbians and gay men grew exponentially in the last decades of the twentieth century, so did their presence in health care...
Shortly after 1 a.m. on June 28, 1969, the police raided the Stonewall Inn, a seedy gay bar in New York’s Greenwich Village. These police...